Saturday, July 6, 2013

Super Foods



I took a tour of my local market; I found most of my favorite super foods in the produce department.  Kale, spinach, and broccoli all grouped together.  I am also a fan of carrots, red, green, and yellow peppers.  They add a natural sweetness to my salads.  As a former sugar addict I have found I enjoy the natural sweetness from these veggies as a healthy alternative to my cookie and cake days.  Like most people I am very short on time.  My days of browsing the grocery store and walking all the isles hunting and pecking for what I need are over.   It is an added benefit for me to find all the foods I need in one place.

Since I have started eating super foods my vitamin expenses have gone down. People are so concerned with spending money on designer vitamins that are crap. They don’t realize they can get vitamins A, C, E, and K from eating greens.  They are also full of calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, and zinc.  Most people do not realize this but you get more calcium from dark greens then a glass of milk.   You may be spending more for food – you will be spending less on vitamins and medical bills.  

Another great isle at the grocery store is the spice isle.  I use garlic in my recipes for the flavor and it is a natural way to fight free radicals in the body that cause cancer.  I have problems with my joints and I found by adding basil in my dishes it acts as a natural anti-inflammatory agent.  Do you your homework about herbs and spices.  You will be surprised at the natural medicines you can find in the spice isle.  It also can prevent the drug companies from making money off people when they can get what they need naturally rather than pushing designers drugs that benefit their bottom-line not the consumer.

For the 4th of July holiday I made what is called a dessert pizza.  I used whole grain crust that is choked full of minerals, unlike its evil twin white dough.  I used just a pinch of date sugar – it is a healthier alternative to refined white sugar, however, you still should only use a small amount.  Sugar is sugar.  I used black berries and raspberries, both are super foods that contain lots of vitamin C and the best benefit – berries help balance your mood.  For those women out there who struggle with mood swings during certain times of the month, try adding more berries to your diet.   You will see a huge difference. I also sprinkled just a bit of organic dark chocolate chips.  Organic dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants.  It’s a nice way to give yourself a healthy treat that feels like your cheating.  

The best part about this dessert I did not feel like taking a nap after eating it.  It was delicious.  It truly fed my body.  It gave my body energy and the necessary vitamins to help it stay healthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment