Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Passion



Passion
I always thought passion was something you see in the movies.  It was the fairy tale ending of an unrealistic love story, Angel’s monologue on an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was a fantasy, a really fun fantasy to watch or read about. Who hasn’t taken the time to fantasize about meeting their very own “Jack Dawson” from Titanic, or whatever movie pulls you too it. I never thought it was a part of “real” life.  Well, I thought it was real life for those sad individuals who waited for their Prince Charming or Cinderella, the ones who did not realize that happy endings come from inside not from another person.  
That was my view on passion until someone asked me, “What am I passionate about? What makes me want to get out of bed in the morning?”  My first response was, “I get out of bed because if I do not work I do not get paid.”   Then I really thought about it.  If getting out of bed to go to a job that I am not passionate about is my only reason for getting up, somewhere along the line I stopped living and simply existing.  That was a very unsettling thought for me.  Life is too short to exist.  I dug a little deeper to see what motivates me.  What brings me joy on a daily basis?  What do I enjoy doing?  My first answers were my children and my friends.  That is great; however, it’s not “my” passion.  It is a shared bonding of time.  I believe all parents should feel passionate about their children.  I enjoy every moment with both of my children.   I stepped back and thought about me as a human being, not just a Mother or friend, but me alone, what is my personal passion.  What exactly hummed to me?  I love health and wellness.  I love listening to live music.  Yoga is the most peaceful place in the world to me.  My mind is quiet and my body is fluid.  For me that is the highest level of peace.  I love getting up early in the morning when no one else is underfoot to write.  Those are just some of my passions.  Those are a few of the things that motivate.  They allow me to live a full life rather than existing.

What are your passions in life?  Do you have any passions or are you just going through the motions.  Take the time to think what makes you happy?  What do you enjoy doing?  Or what don’t you enjoy doing?  Sometimes knowing what you do not like will help you figure out what you do like.  Take the time to discover what makes you hum.  Life is too short to exist.
May you’re day be filled with passion!

“Passion, it lies in all of us, sleeping... waiting... and though unwanted... unbidden... it will stir... open its jaws and howl. It speaks to us... guides us... passion rules us all, and we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace... but we would be hollow... Empty rooms shuttered and dank. Without passion we'd be truly dead”

No comments:

Post a Comment