Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Resolution Solution!



The Resolution Solution

The New Year, a clean slate, a new beginning.  This year I will stick to my resolution to lose weight, change my career, slow down, improve my relationships, become more involved in my church, and the list goes on.  Somewhere between midnight on New Year’s Eve and putting away the last Christmas decoration in January we have already given up on our resolutions.  Our resolution becomes an overwhelming burden rather than a start to create a happier, healthy life.  Below are a few tips to jump-start your New Resolutions.  

Every beginning starts with an ending.  Look at what is going right in your life now.  Ask yourself what brings you joy?  What is working for you right now that is helping you reach your goals?  Use the answer to those questions as a foundation for resolution.
Break your resolution down into small goals.  I have a friend who had to lose 100lbs.  Rather than focusing on the entire 100lbs she set small goals of 10lbs increments.  One step at a time.  When you make your resolution to big and do not break it down it can become overwhelming.  Small steps add up.  

Always have a plan.  For example I have a friend who detests her job.  She is always saying she wants to change careers.  She was not successful until she sat down and planned how she was going to achieve that.  When making your resolution this year take the time to sit down and make a plan.  Answer these simple questions.  What actions will I take to achieve my goal? How can I realistically implement these goals in my life?  Make the plan simple and realistic.  

The most important tip is “Failure is not the end” If you slip get right back up.  Learn from those set-backs.  Look at what set you back and learn from it. 

Happy & Healthy Blessings!
Lisa Lowry, CHHP, AADP

No comments:

Post a Comment